There are several large fires burning in Northern California: Lava Fire, Salt Fire, and Tennant Fire in Shasta and Siskiyou Counties respectively, and evacuations have been ordered for residents in various locations.
Extreme weather conditions have led to erratic fire behavior making suppression challenging, and several inter-agencies have been deployed in response to the fires, and crews are working diligently to mitigate the spread. Fire patterns, weather, and traffic updates are changing frequently as firefighters continue to battle the blazes.
The following agencies are providing updates that may be helpful:
- U.S. Forest Service: Shasta-Trinity National Forest
- U.S. Forest Service: Shasta-Trinity National Forest Facebook
- Shasta County Sheriff’s Office
- CAL FIRE: Shasta-Trinity Facebook
- Caltrans District 2
- National Weather Service
- Shasta County Health & Human Services Fire Preparedness Tips
- Shasta County Sheriff’s Twitter
- U.S. Forest Service: Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest
- U.S. Forest Service: Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest Facebook
- U.S. Forest Service: Klamath National Forest Facebook
- USFS Pacific Northwest Region: Emergency Closures
- CAL FIRE Siskiyou Facebook
- Siskiyou County Office of Emergency Services
- Siskiyou County Office of Emergency Services Facebook
My heartfelt thoughts to all evacuees and families—please know I am in regular contact with incident management teams. Please follow all evacuation orders from law enforcement.
Please know that due to the threat the Lava and Salt Fires pose at the current time Mount Shasta has canceled all Independence Day festivities.
Look out for one another, and be safe.